Fissurotomy Instruments are essential when removing decay in deep lesions because they preserve the healthy dentin. This reduces post-operative sensitivity and avoids unnecessary root canal procedures.
Fissurotomy® instruments allow early diagnosis, conservative preparation and treatment of hidden fissure caries, often without the use of anesthesia. Developed in collaboration with Temple University, the Fissurotomy® bur head shape allows conservative exploration of fissures with a patient-friendly technique that is virtually pain-free and creates an ideal cavity form. You can explore and restore in just 3-5 minutes.
The occlusal fissure of this molar looks suspicious for a carious lesion because of subsurface staining and decalcification; but the explorer does not ‘stick’, indicating a lesion, and there is no x-ray evidence of such. However, radiographs do not detect all occlusal lesions. Enamel thickness can be deceptive.
A cross section of the same tooth would confirm your suspicion. It clearly shows the lesion deep in the enamel.
Solution: Fissurtomy is ideally designed for the ultraconservative pit/fissure exploration of adult molars, primary teeth & adult premolars, enameloplasty and improved sealant retention.
Developed in collaboration with Temple University, the Fissurotomy® instrument head shape allows early diagnosis and conservative preparation of fissure caries, often without the use of anesthesia.
A conservative method for the diagnosis and treatment of hidden caries.
The Fissurotomy Bur allows for exploration of fissures. It is virtually pain-free and creates an ideal cavity form. You can explore and restore in just 3-5 minutes
Types : Fissurotomy® Original, Fissurotomy® Micro NTF, Fissurotomy® Micro STF
- Tip of bur is smaller and more conservative than 1/4 round
- Fine carbide tip will not strip quickly like thin diamonds
- Virtually pain free to the DEJ... in most cases no anesthesia is needed
- Ideal cavity preparation form for a flowable composite
- Cleaner, more controlled and less costly than air abrasion
- Multiple bur tip sizes to suit adult and deciduous teeth
- Fissurotomy Original: Head Length : 2.5mm, Max Head Diameter : 1.1mmNarrow
- Taper Fissure Fissurotomy NTF: Head Length : 2.5mm, Max Head Diameter : 0.7mm
- Shallow Taper Fissure Fissurotomy STF: Head Length : 1.5mm, Max Head Diameter : 0.6mm